What is Tele-rehab/Virtual Physiotherapy?
Virtual physiotherapy is our way of staying connected to you during these unprecedented times. We contact you over the phone or more efficiently through video conferencing to treat and maintain your current physio and exercises needs. Tele-rehab is also being promoted by the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario as an appropriate and excellent way to keep in touch with any and all patients.
What video methods do I use?
That is completely up to you! We are equipped and ready to use FaceTime (iphones only), Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Skype, and Zoom. We are also open to any other means of video that are convenient for you, just make sure that you have a consistent internet connection. Simply let us know what works for you when you call to book your appointment. If Video is not available, be ready for a longer phone call. That is fine with us as good communication and many years of experience as a physiotherapist can lead to a lot of solutions to your physical pain.
What does a typical virtual session look like?
1) Your first appointment will start with a physiotherapist contacting you through the means of your choice. The physiotherapist will then conduct a thorough verbal examination to understand your current needs.
2) The physiotherapist will then likely need to assess things such as range of motion and strength. This may involve having you move, bend, twist or stretch so please ensure that you have enough space around your to do so. Also, please be aware that the physiotherapist is assessing the quality of your movement and therefore will need to see the appropriate body parts to do so. Shorts and t-shirt are standard attire unless otherwise instructed.
3) Based on the assessment the physiotherapist will consult a kinesiologist and develop an exercise routine that is customized to your situation.
4) You will be sent an email with videos and customized instructions of your exercise program.
5) A kinesiologist will call you back and go over these exercises with you to ensure that you are doing them safely and with the proper technique.
6) Follow-up appointments are usually booked 1-2x/week and will involve both the physiotherapist and kinesiologist from your first session.
7) The College of Physiotherapist of Ontario demand and expect that you receive the same high-quality care that is anticipate at an in-clinic appointment. Physiotherapists must comply with all the standards of practice outlined by the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario.
What type of exercises will I get?
That depends on the recommendations of the physiotherapist. Exercise programs may include but are not limited to:
1) Education – best/most important way the physio can help you virtually.
2) Self- mobilization
6) Self-massage techniques
7) Core exercises.
8) Posture awareness
9) Functional task – lift/push/pull
10) Ergonomic evaluation – information about your current “work from home” set-up
11) Concussion exercises – Visual/vestibular/cardiovascular/cognitive
12) Education on potential self-taping techniques
13) When to ice and when to heat?
What if I don’t have any equipment to use at home?
Any equipment needed for your exercises will be delivered to your doorstep same day or the next day if items on hand.
Will Tele-rehab help me?
Tele-rehab can help most patients. If you are questioning whether or not virtual rehab is right for you, please feel free to give us a call at any time. We would love to answer any questions you might have.
Who can call and make an appointment?
In short, anyone! The best part about doing rehab sessions virtually is that it doesn’t matter where you live, we can treat you. Whether you are down the road, across town or across the country we can help!
Do I have to pay for Tele-rehab?
Virtual rehab sessions are being covered by most insurance benefits plans. If you are unsure if your insurance provider will cover tele-rehab, then you should contact them in advance of booking an appointment.
How do I book an appointment?
There are many ways to get a hold of us:
Telephone - 519-250-1855
Email - email@example.com.
We are here for you during this time of physical distancing. We are committed to helping you and your loved ones any way we can. Please reach out to us if you have any questions. Stay Safe!
J.P. and Sherri Chartrand, Owners and registered physiotherapists.